Head of Business Development / Business Development Director27 Jun 2023
Reporting to: Managing Director
This is an incredible opportunity for a confident, self-motivated and driven senior sales professional to step up and lead our growing sales & business development operations. You will work within a well-established, award winning tech business which is growing at a significant rate. We are about to embark on an exciting growth & expansion phase and, as part of this, we need someone to lead our sales efforts and sales team in both a revenue generating and strategy role.
Role & Responsibilities:
The Head of Business Development is responsible for architecting a sales strategy, selling to new markets, strategising next steps, negotiating complex deals and beating the competition in head-to-head opportunities.
You will be leading our Business Development initiatives alongside our Managing Director and, while this is still a quota carrying role, you will need to recruit a sales team to help amplify your skills.
- Drive ASP’s revenue & market share growth across the UK and internationally.
- Achieve your personal revenue & team targets by generating new business from cold and warm leads.
- Have full accountability for the entire sales cycle, from initial contact, through to proposal, negotiation and closing deals.
- Build, lead and motivate high performing sales team and support our Account Management team to excel at client development.
- Developing and executing strategic plans to achieve sales targets.
- Understanding and communicating the organisation’s value propositions and processes through proposals and presentations
- Monitoring supply and demand, competitor offers and costs to determine and adjust selling prices
- Forecasting and creating annual sales quotas to determine sales objectives
- Analysing market trends and results to determine annual unit and gross-profit plans
- Working collaboratively across teams - including Product and Marketing
- Establishing and fostering partnerships and relationships with key customers both externally and internally
- Identifying and reporting on business opportunities in target markets
- Representing the business at conferences, trade fairs and networking events
- Maximising new business development opportunities
- Support the Managing Director in transparent pipeline & forecast management via Salesforce
- Demonstrable experience of delivering sales targets
- Excellent negotiation & Leadership skills
- Ability to lead, coach, support, develop & performance manage a high-performing team
- Equally adept at pitching and closing business over the phone, via online demo’s & F2F
- Frequent training and onboarding of new & existing team members on the best approaches to selling, upselling & cross selling.
- Natural sales-person with charisma and persuasive skills and the ability to build rapport at all seniority levels
- Confident communicator, via Face to face, presentations, written and oral
- Be an expert on the events industry and have a deep understanding of, our competitive landscape, marketing cycle and potential threats to our business.
- Professional in approach and image
- An excellent public speaker
- Excellent time management, pipeline management & forecasting
- Experience of using a CRM, preferably Salesforce
- Flexible approach to working hours, location, duties and travelling.
- Ability to balance significant international travel ensuring it’s not at the detriment of our sales performance.
- Sound tech knowledge. We are a tech company so require all employees to have a good understanding of Web Tech, digital media and marketing.
Qualifications & Experience
- Proven experience as Head of Sales, Sales Manager or relevant role in a large and complex organisation
- Minimum 5 years sales experience, both face-to-face and over the phone
- Possess extensive knowledge of sales principles and practices
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience and contacts in the events industry highly desirable, but not essential
Note: This job description is not exhaustive and will be subject to periodic review. It may be amended to meet the changing needs of the business. The post-holder will be expected to participate in this process, and we would aim to reach agreement on any changes.
We are the event website people. We design, build and support exhibitions websites around the world, providing digital and event industry expertise to event organisers of all sizes. Our proprietary software technology and event specialist team support clients on every continent and have established offices in the UK & US. Here are some of our clients; Reed Exhibitions, Clarion Events, Informa, Dubai World Trade Centre, CloserStill Media, Media 10 and Hannover Fair.